How To Find Bookkeeping Services For Your Small Business
Many people with as little as one bookkeeping course keep small company books, but professional booking services offer much more. Bookkeeping firms manage account records, produce financial reports, and monitor revenue, spending and invoices. They analyze documents to make sure accounts are current and accurate. They also make sure you are ready for tax season.
A professional bookkeeper will help you avoid errors, which can be costly, illegal and/or adversely affect your credit rating. Outside bookkeeping partners can run regular reports to show how you are doing, where the money is going and if your efforts are paying off.
In a nutshell, bookkeeping services make business owners’ lives easier.
Where to Start When you are Ready to Hire an Outside Bookkeeper
A quick Google search of “bookkeeping services for small business” will pull many options. Beyond looking at reviews and asking friends and colleagues for referrals, here are some steps to consider as you select a bookkeeping service:
- Look at their website. Do they offer what you need?
- Check their experience and references.
- Ask about their payment structure.
- Read their reviews.
- Ask whether they have experience in your industry. It’s certainly not required, but can be helpful.
- Compare rates.
- Meet face-to-face or virtually before you make a decision. You can learn a lot with a short meeting.
- Ask peers you trust from trade groups for referrals.
Think about what you really want:
- Do you want the service to be nearby so you can meet often, or are you comfortable working together mostly online? While having your bookkeeping company nearby may be helpful in some instances, it’s absolutely not necessary.
- How important is it that you know the person answering the phone when you have questions? Ask if they have a policy on how soon to return calls.
- Compare credentials. Do they have both strong bookkeeping/accounting knowledge and the technical resources to simplify your life?
- How do they keep up with changing financial regulations and governmental policies?
You want your search finalists to offer the services you need at a rate you can afford. In our initial free consultation with potential clients, we help them clarify their needs, then we share a ballpark rate for those services.
You also want your bookkeeping service to provide value every day. Our contract includes a 30-day termination clause so clients are free to go if they so desire.